Sunday, 28 March 2010

Hawick Border Reivers report

I did get some sleep, although I'm sure I just got my eyes closed and the alarm went off.

We arrived at the same time as the market stalls were being erected. The organiser Evelyn was there to greet us, that's always nice to see that effort being made. Evelyn showed us our usual place and we got on with setting up our marquees. Everyone else started arriving stall holders and re-enactors alike.

Remember that I said that more often than not something would be forgotten............. well! yes I did... the camera, so I wasn't able to take those promised photos but I have found a website with a video I did last year that shows myself in costume and part of my stand, here's the link

The day started of really nice, the weather was just right for being out and about town. The parade started at 11am at the top of the high street and finished with us bringing in the crowds.

I've included a video from 2005 when we had Scocha whom I enjoyed very much, this was when I first attended this event

Hawick has introduced a new currency called the Hawick £1 you can purchase these and spend them within Hawick at certain stores that are taking part, the idea is a novel way of keeping the money in Hawick. We were asked to take part in it too and at the end of the day we would cash them back in again for real money at no lose to us and it was fun to be involved with. I even had one lady ask if she could buy some from me, "well of course" was the answer. She bought 4 @ £1 each and gave me £4 sterling in return, I think she was a tourist and wanted to take the 'money' back home as gifts.

Sales wise, it was my worst day ever at that event, can't say why other than perhaps we are not yet out of the recession................(she hopes that's all it is)

As mentioned the day started off really well but come 3pm the wind started to kick up and a few of the less sturdy marquees had to have their sides taken down before they took off like a kite. We were fine but as a precaution I did lower my sides to half way. We use very heavy weights that fit around the legs of our marquee and must have had 14 of these weights at 13kg each, so that's quite a lot.

4pm wrapped up the day and as per usual, we are the first to arrive and the last to leave, Oh the life of a crafter...................


niftyknits said...

loved the video, it looked great fun. Better luck next year with the takings.

Designed by Frances said...

It was good fum and sometimes that's just the way the cookie crumbles with the takings and I'll be back next year anyways, kind of see it as a dayout.